Questions To Ask Before Enrollment
Eligibility and enrollment
- What crops and/or agricultural systems are eligible?
- What is the minimum and maximum contract length?
- Is there a minimum acreage required to enroll?
- Will the program be practice-based or outcome-based?
- What does the program do with certified or purchased credits? Ex. will credits be retained for internal or later use, sold, auctioned, traded, etc.?
- Can existing practice adopters participate, or will a practice change be required?
- Can fields that adopted practices prior to enrollment receive payment?
- Can rented land be enrolled or just owned land?
- What penalties will a farmer incur if participation ends before the contract expires?
- Can I enroll acres that are enrolled in USDA or state cost-share or conservation programs?
- What happens if there is a failed crop or failed practice implementation during the contract period?
- Are other ecosystem credits included or just carbon?
- What is the annual payment amount and/or how are credits or outcomes priced?
- Are payment amounts fixed for the term of the contract or calculated each year?
- What is the annual payment timing/schedule?
- Is there a transaction fee imposed by the program? If so, how much?
- What operational data must farmers provide or share to enroll?
- Is company-specific software required for data entry?
- Will the program use, share, or sell farmer-provided data in ways external to the carbon program?
Quantification, monitoring, verification, and certification
- How are credits or outcomes quantified?
- Is soil sampling or other environmental monitoring required? If so, will they notify the landowner before a site visit?
- Who conducts and pays for the environmental monitoring?
- What is the process for practice verification and credit certification?
- How is verification and certification paid for?
- How does the program provide technical assistance to farmers?